How Do I File a Homestead Exemption?

You can file for a homestead exemption through form DTE105A.

In Ohio, you may be able to file a homestead exemption if you are a senior or disabled person, or you’re a disabled veteran. By learning how to file these exemptions, you won’t have to worry so much about your finances if you’re in a tough position.

Homestead Exemption for Seniors

In Ohio, the Senior and Disabled Persons Homestead Exemption will protect the first $25,000 of your home’s value from being taxed. If your home is worth $150,000, for example, then you would be taxed as if it were worth $125,000.

You will be eligible for this if you live in this home primarily as of January 1 of the year in which you apply, you are 65+ (or will be the year you apply), and if you’re applying for the disability exemption, you are totally or permanently disabled. You could also be a surviving spouse of someone who enrolled and have a total gross income that’s less than the limit for that year.

Homestead Exemption for Disabled Vets

The homestead exemption for disabled vets will protect you from taxation for the first $50,000 of your home’s value. You need to live in the home primarily and be a veteran of the Armed Forces of the United States. You also need to have a 100% disability rating.

Applying for the Exemption

You can apply for both types of exemptions by filling out and filing application form DTE105A. You’ll need to provide proof of age, disability, or veteran’s disability.

Calling Richard P. Arthur for Bankruptcy Help

Richard P. Arthur, Attorney at Law, can help you file for your homestead exemption. You can call 937-254-3738 for a consultation. He has nearly three decades of experience assisting clients in Dayton and Trotwood, as well as Montgomery, Greene, Miami, Clark, and Warren counties.