Can I Change My Name at the Time of Divorce in Ohio?

You can change your name when you get divorced in Ohio, as long as you’re going back to a previous name.

Now that you’re getting a divorce in Ohio, you’re figuring out what your life is going to look like post-divorce. Along with figuring out your finances, where you’ll live, and what your custody plan will be, you’re thinking about your last name. You may want to go back to your old name or change it to a new one for a fresh start. Learn more about the Ohio name change process to discover how to do it for yourself.

Changing Your Name During Divorce

When you’re going through the divorce process, the state of Ohio allows you to go back to any previous name you had before you got married, like your maiden name. Then, the name you go back to will appear in your final decree of divorce, which is a court order. The divorce decree is your proof that you changed your name – just like your marriage certificate was proof that you changed your name when you got married. If you end up getting remarried, you can change your name to your new spouse’s name that way (or, of course, keep your previous name).

Getting a New Name

Let’s say that when you’re getting divorced, you decide you want to take on a new last name that you didn’t previously possess. You cannot do this during the divorce process. You’ll need to go through the legal name change process. The requirements include residing in Ohio for at least a year, saying exactly why you want to change your name, telling the court when your new name is, and saying if you’re a registered sex offender or a child-victim offender.

You will need to publish your new name in a local newspaper before you change it. Ask your local court clerk how to go about this. You’ll need to include the court where your application is filed, your case number, and the date and time of your hearing when you publish the notice in the paper.

Once your name has been officially changed, you will have to update all your appropriate government documents including your Social Security card, your passport, your license, and anything else with your old name on it. You’ll also need to contact your bank, utility company, cell phone provider, credit card companies, and any other services you use to tell them about your name change.

Why Hire a Divorce Lawyer?

Changing your name back to your previously used name after a divorce is simple… but it’s one of the only things that’s simple when it comes to the divorce process. To ensure a smoother process and have someone in your corner during this tumultuous time, it’s important to hire an experienced divorce lawyer.

They will work hard to get you what you deserve and help you mediate stressful situations. They will also work hand-in-hand with you to try and work out issues with your spouse instead of going through several months – or years – of litigation. Going through this process alone is never recommended, because you may end up losing what’s most important to you. Find a lawyer who is going to be there for you when you need them the most.

Get in Touch With Richard P. Arthur

Richard P. Arthur, Attorney at Law, can help you file for divorce. You can call 937-254-3738 for a consultation. He has more than three decades of experience helping clients in Dayton and Trotwood, as well as Montgomery, Greene, Miami, Clark, and Warren counties.